What is FGW? Check it out here: https://byroncobalt.com/2021/09/19/introducing-the-fantasy-game-wins-fgw-fantasy-football-player-scoring-system/
It’s official – 2021 Christian McCaffrey was a bust. He was injured — twice — and he was stringing him along in between. You couldn’t even clear him off the bench.
McCaffrey at 1 has a good shot at worst consensus pick this year. When you start at the top, you have the most room to fall. He won’t have a negative FGW, but his dFGW will suck.
If you ever need an example to show your why first overall pick isn’t a guarantee of success, the 2021 draft is a good data set.
Who Won And Lost The Week?
- Lenny “Asiata” Fournette finally gets his original nickname back, Mr. Come At Me Bro.
- Joe Mixon just keeps on cranking ’em out. If it weren’t for Jonathan Taylor, he’d be getting buzz as a top pick contender next year.
- My name is Byron Cobalt, and I dropped Cordarrelle Patterson after Week 1. [Hi Byron].
- Since I fixed the kicker problem, I can let the kickers out of my basement and back onto the list!
- Josh Allen has been alternating good weeks and bad weeks since Week 6. He’s like Bills great Eric Moulds, just weekly reverberations instead of yearly.
- Rough Kittle year, unless you get points for pancake blocks.
- THERE’S the correction game for Mike Evans!
- Wonder if cold weather will lead to more weeks where a handful of QBs have killer weeks.
MVP Watch/LVP Watch
- Jonathan Taylor
Thomasstill doesn’t have a nickname (to my knowledge). Why not Young Simba?…actually Young Simba was maybe him from weeks 1-3. He’s Matthew Broderick Simba now.
- Just a strangely consistent week for the top players. Everyone in the top 10 was either above average (positive FGW), or on bye/injury.
- So apparently Deebo…really can play RB now? I feel like people should be making a bigger deal of this. Maybe the jersey number rules this year are making it look less jarring.
- Joe Burrow with a quietly rough year for his fantasy owners so far.
- OBJ jumping ahead of a few fellow Project Mayhem wide receivers this week, going all the way up from being a de-facto A-Rob challenger to suddenly maybe start-able now.
- Tannehill creeps closer to A-Rob. What we need now is Robinson to have a randomly good week, get started by a bunch of people, then be 2021 A-Rob again. Then he’ll keep the LVP for sure.
They Were The Best Of Picks, They Were The Worst Of Picks
- Despite the fact that his % started number is below 50%, Fournette is now the #6 RB in FGW this year. Nobody really was starting him through the first three weeks (when he averaged under 8 ppg), then everyone got on the train in time for his great Week 6 (27.7 pts). Very timely and efficient year for Fournette and his fantasy owners.
- Justin Jefferson’s now above his buddy Ja’Marr. 2022 might seem them both get late first round consideration.
- McCaffrey owners be like “Come, sing me a song, Clyde. Why should your songs be unfit for my halls?”
- I still think we’re going to see an Aaron Jones big game this year. Probably in a week when a lot of people are starting AJ Dillon.
- To me, it feels right that Barkley and McCaffrey are both roughly equally painful first round picks, relative to draft position.
The Full List
- My “Fresh” observation this week is just how disproportionately prominent a handful of players are after round 4. A few solid but unspectacular players in round 5, round 6 is a ghost town, 7 had Ja’Marr and Deebo and that was it…there might be something to the Stars-And-Scrubs strategy for auction drafts.
I fixed up the excel file this week. One I put out last week had some live links; this one is flat. Just like McCaffrey owners after plummeting off the cliff of Minas Tirith.